Location: Washington, DC
Starting Salary Range: $42,647 to $54,153, commensurate with experience
The Development Associate will support the Development Director, Executive Director and other ARAW staff in implementing the fundraising plan. Development Associate will provide overall assistance in meeting and expanding the ARAW and ARAW Education Fund’s budgetary goals.
American Rights at Work, a nonprofit advocacy organization focused on protecting and advancing workers’ rights to organize and bargain collectively, seeks a full-time Development Associate.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Provides general support to Development Director
- Prepares and coordinates correspondence with all donors and prospects including solicitation letters, acknowledgements, mass mailings, and individual letters.
- Produces materials including informational packets and any follow-up materials required.
- Processes all contributions received.
- Tracks all contributions and donor activity in Raiser’s Edge and in appropriate paper filing system.
- Responsible for updating donor contact information, as well as working with administrative and program assistants to update main ARAW database and appropriate email lists.
- Assists with coordination of logistics, fundraising, program and event committee development for annual awards event.
- Assists with logistics of all fundraising events including local and regional activities, outreach events, etc.
- Tracks foundation deadlines.
- Coordinates the assembly of foundation proposals including all materials from relevant departments within ARAW.
- Coordinates foundation reporting requirements and oversees timely contact with foundation program officers.
- Liaison with all fundraising vendors.
- Schedules donor meetings, phone calls, one-on-one visits, travel schedules, etc. for Executive Director and Development Director.
- Builds and maintains relationships with current, new and potential donors.
- Maintains and updates comprehensive tracking system for all fundraising programs and contacts within each program including unions, foundations and individual donors.
- Compiles and tracks call sheets for Executive Director. Corrects and locates phone numbers as needed.
- Researches foundation and individual prospects. Compiles background information for meetings.
- Represents ARAW at conferences, meetings, workshops and events.
- Manages development consultants as necessary.
- 2-3 years experience, preferably for a nonprofit, labor, or political organization.
- High proficiency with MS office suite (especially Access, the database management program), and internet research.
- Experience with donor management/fundraising software databases such as Raiser's Edge.
- Ability to prioritize and carry out multiple tasks with attention to detail in a fast-paced team setting.
- Excellent oral and verbal communications skills.
- Attention to detail a must.
- Ability to work with a broad range of people including major donors, board members, foundation staff, and other constituents.
- Ability to work independently and with professional discretion in performing work assignments.
How to Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to
or fax to 202-822-2168
by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 17, 2008. Please include “Development
Associate Search” in the subject line of any email or fax.
Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis and successful applicants
will be contacted by Friday, October 17, 2008 to schedule a phone
interview. Phone interviews will tentatively take place Monday,
October 20, 2008 and Tuesday, October 21, 2008. Some candidates will
then be contacted to schedule in-person interviews, which will take
place the same week.
No calls or emails.
American Rights at Work is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly
encourages diversity in the workplace.