Location: Washington, DC
Starting Salary Range: $60-70k, commensurate with experience
American Rights at Work is hiring for an Online Strategies Director to join our team to make a difference for workers’ rights. This person is responsible for the organization’s online presence, including our website, online activist program, and Internet marketing and outreach.
This is neither an IT nor a web development position. We're looking for an innovative individual familiar with connecting technology and activism. Our ideal candidate is an activist, organizer, and political technologist who can lead our online operation for social change. You won't just make sure our tools work; you'll design and implement the hard-hitting campaigns that use those tools – targeting anti-union forces from FedEx and Wal-Mart. Every day, you'll use your ability as a compelling writer, your skill as a tech geek, and your passion for changing the world.
American Rights at Work is a young national labor policy and advocacy non-profit organization. In just a few years, we've recruited hundreds of thousands of members through innovative viral campaigns and made a difference for workers’ rights. As you might imagine from a group specializing in workers' rights, we offer amazing benefits, including professional development funds, and benefits for commuting on the Metro. You don't pay a cent for health coverage premiums, and we even contribute 5% annually to our employees’ 401(k) accounts.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Website Development & Management
Email Advocacy / Campaigns / Messaging
Create, update, and maintain web content (with help from other staff).
- Manage vendors to keep the site on the cutting edge of functionality and design.
- Use testing, user feedback, and web traffic analysis to improve site performance and optimize for search engines.
- Design and edit graphics as needed.
Online Marketing & Outreach
Plan and implement online advocacy and fundraising campaigns (incl. managing vendors and other staff).
- Write content for action campaigns and email messages.
- Maintain email wrappers and action pages.
- Manage email lists and databases (with help from other staff).
- Regularly report on performance of online advocacy efforts.
Create and implement online marketing plans for advocacy campaigns, events, and publications.
- Cultivate relationships with bloggers and online communities.
- Develop strategies for paid and viral list growth (with help from other staff and outside vendors)
Lead the online team, coordinating efforts of the Communications Assistant, interns, consultants and vendors (alongside the Communications Director).
- Integrate online advocacy into the organization's overall strategic direction and web presence.
- Use expertise, independent judgment, and professional discretion in all projects.
- Other duties as assigned to further the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years of work experience in online spheres.
- Demonstrated success managing an online operation, including dynamic web content, preferably for an advocacy group, nonprofit, or political campaign.
- Excellent project management, writing and editing skills.
- Proactive problem solving skills and the ability to work independently – and flexibly – in a fast-paced environment.
Basic HTML coding required.
- Experience with online advocacy and fundraising applications (e-CRMs), preferably GetActive or Convio suites.
- Experience analyzing web reports, trends, traffic, etc.
- Experience using a Content Management System, preferably Joomla.
- Experience in Photoshop and optimization of graphics for the web.
- Online marketing and advertising experience a plus.
Please send resume and cover letter, writing sample, references, and min of 2 URLs that demonstrate your web portfolio by November 7, 2008, to commdir[@]americanrightsatwork[.]org with "Online Strategies Director" in the subject line, or to:
American Rights at Work
1100 17th St NW, Suite 950
Washington, DC 20036
Attn: Online Strategies Director Search
No calls please
Culture at American Rights at Work:
American Rights at Work is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly pursues diversity in its staff hiring.
Important Notice for Applicants:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are
unable to personally acknowledge the receipt and status of each one.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please
follow the job application instructions specific to the position you
are applying for. If applying for multiple positions, please apply for
the positions via separate applications. No phone calls, please.